i am feeling much much better since yesterday. actually, i think it was the hot cola with lemon and ginger that has miraculously helped haha. being sick these past few days has inspired me to detox. i'm planning on doing a detox for a week to clear my body of toxins. think: green smoothies, salads, and refreshing lemon water. i've done detox diets before, so i thought i'd share a bit of my past experiences and knowledge with you.
a few things to keep in mind...
- be sure to ask your doctor before you begin a detox.
- it's important to release the salt from your body ( aka sweat ). so be sure you workout or head to some type of heat sauna.
- eating whole organic foods are recommended for general detoxification.
- a few teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil at night will help stimulate your liver to eliminate bile and keep its circulation flowing.
- yoga is recommended while on detox.
- drink LOTS of water.
my past experiences...
i've tried juicing multiple times in my life and being completely honest, it wasn't for me. replacing juice for my meals just didn't work out for my hectic schedule and it left me exhausted and completely out of energy before the day was over.
however, i've found that replacing just one meal with a juice a day makes much more of an impact than replacing all meals with juices.
thinking beyong juices, it's also important to be consistent. skipping even a day, makes a huge difference. and if you quit or decide to take a break on the third day, then there's no point in continuing the detox.
with that being said, it takes A LOT of discipline to detox. but once you get through the detox, you'll definitely feel much better and it'll definitely be easier to maintain a healthier diet.
some ideas and recipes...
- lemon water: i like to have a cup of water with lemon ( room temperature or hot ) first thing in the morning.
- tea: lots and lots of tea. the good stuff ( no artificial flavorings or dye ). my favorite is green or lemon ginger.
- water: i drink about 3-4 bottles of water a day and i always have a bottle when i'm out. it's important to be hydrated.
- protein rich smoothies: with ingredients like almonds, blueberries, kale, coconut water, apples, beets, ginger, and raspberries. best when taken in the earlier hours.
- cranberry juice diluted in water: 1/2 cup of 100% cranberry water in 2 1/2 cups of water. a few times during the day.
- crisp, refreshing veggies: for meals.
- almonds: to snack on during the day.
- chopped veggies: for lunchtime.
with that in mind, i wish you the best with detoxification and i will be suffering along with you! xoxo